WHY PRAYER & FASTING?
Prayer moves the hand of God in our lives. Fasting is a spiritual discipline that is encouraged and practiced throughout Scripture. Jesus fasted and told us that certain breakthroughs could only be gained by “prayer and fasting” (Matthew 4:1-2; 17:21) The disciples and apostles fasted (Acts 13:2-3). We are giving a specific time at the beginning of the year to prayer and fasting about certain things that we are asking God to do.
WHAT IS A FAST?
A fast is going without something for a spiritual purpose. Usually one fasts from food, but there are several types of fasting that are effective.
HOW DO I FAST?
Fasting is going without something (usually food) so that you can focus on God and place your natural desires in submission to the Spirit. There are several options for fasting:
• No food--only water
• Only fruits and vegetables (known as a Daniel fast)
• No TV or secular media/music/social media
• Certain meals (fasting breakfast & lunch; dinner; etc)
We’re asking everyone at Discovery to fast in some way. We realize there may be health restrictions, but fast in some way and spend time in prayer about seeing God’s purpose SHINE in our lives and in Discovery.
FOLLOW ALONG BELOW AND JOIN US AS WE CONCLUDE THE FAST TOGETHER ON JAN 20!
5 DAYS IN THE WORD: During our 5 days of prayer and fasting take some time in God’s Word and use the SOAP method of study.
- Scripture - read the Scripture passage below each day.
- Observation - what does it say/what do you see?
- Application - how does it apply to my life?
- Prayer - ask for God’s help to apply it
Take some time and write down the things that God speaks to you. Journal about His challenges to your life from what you read in His Word.
DAY 1 - SOULS
• Word - Day 1: Matthew 9:36; Matthew 28:19-20
• Ask for God’s heart for people - the lost, broken, hurting, deceived, confused & searching.
• Pray for His love and compassion.
• Holy Spirit, help me to shine for you!
• Ask for God to give you opportunities to share your faith or your story.
• Specifically pray for 3 friends by name who need Christ.
DAY 2 - MY FAITH
• Word - Day 2: Hebrews 6:12; Hebrews 11:6
• Focus on what you want for your relationship with God this year.
• Ask God for strength in the areas where you are weak - be specific.
• Pray for an increased ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit.
• Ask God to increase your faith and help you believe His Word.
• Pray for God’s help in your personal growth and spiritual development.
• Ask for a spirit of encouragement to be upon you.
• Pray for the faith of your family (spouse, kids, parents, etc.)
DAY 3 - GOD’S WORD
• Word - Day 3: Joshua 1:8; 2 Timothy 3:16-17
• Ask for revelation and insight into the Scriptures.
• Ask for a spirit of faith to arise as you read His Word.
• Pray for wisdom to be released in your life as you spend time reading God’s Word.
• Pray for your pastors to have grace and power to teach God’s Word.
• Take some time this week to write down promises and insights that you receive
from God’s Word.
• Prayerfully read through Psalm 119 this week.
DAY 4 - MY LIFE
• Word - Day 4: Romans 12:1-2; Matthew 26:39
• Pray for your needs and the needs of your family.
• Ask God for provision & blessing - your “daily bread”.
• Pray for favor, promotions, and open doors in your job.
• Pray for God’s direction for your life - that He will lead & guide you.
• Ask for wisdom for decisions.
• Pray for victory in areas of struggle and breakthrough in your battles.
• Pray for God’s plans for your life to be established & the plans of the enemy to be cancelled!
• Ask for health & healing for yourself and your family.
• Pray for protection over your home and your family.
• Pray for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, mercy, forgiveness, and self-control.
DAY 5 - MY CHURCH
• Word - Day 5: Acts 2:42-47; Ephesians 4:14-16
• Pray for the favor and blessing of God to be upon our church.
• Ask for wisdom, strength and understanding for the pastors and leaders.
• Pray for the church to grow, thrive and multiply with people!
• Ask for God to financially bless our church and proper us in His purpose.
• Pray for influence in the community and the city.
• Pray for growth in quality and quantity in the results of the ministry of Discovery.
• Pray for God’s direction for the pastors and leaders of the church.
• Ask for God’s blessing upon our plans.
• Pray for the specific ministries of the church:
✦ Small groups
✦ Children’s ministry
✦ Student ministry
✦ Men & Women’s ministry
• Pray that our church would shine as the “light of the world” in 2017!!